Here is an opportunity for your students to write their own songs about the states! You may want to write one song as a class or have students write their own songs about individual states. If your students are new to song writing, you will want to start by modeling this process. I have detailed instructions, examples and ideas for song writing in my book, Lessons From Lyrics. Also, please check out the writing songs with students tab for more information about the benefits of student written song lyrics.
Download the PDF of a template students can use to write their own state song!
Basic Song Writing Process
1. Thoroughly research the content information to be included in the song.
2. Review how to summarize information to include only important details in song lyrics.
3. Modeled and shared writing.
4. Students work in groups or individually to complete songs.
5. Share! Share! Share! (With the class, other classrooms, parents, administrators, etc.)